Above the windows are two further courses of ashlar, which run around the building.
This is a legacy of renovations in the late-eighteenth century, at which time a new roof was added, which sloped over the aisles and hid the clerestory windows. At the same time, the burial aisles, lofts and loft staircase and south porch were removed.
The line of the old, steeply-pitched roof is visible on the tower and the exterior, east wall of the nave. The north wall of the chancel dates to the twelfth century and is obscured by the vestry.
Approach to the church is through gates to the site which are in fact the borough memorials to the dead of both World Wars.
The exterior of the building appears to be rectangular.
To the east, the vestry has a pair of square-headed windows with clear, gridded glass.
Three bands of ashlar run into the windows on either side.
A fragment of a string course, level with the middle of the window, is representative of the Norman chancel.
The south elevation is pierced by a small square window near ground level.To the east of this is a square-headed door, possibly inserted in place of an earlier opening.The chancel was lengthened in the early sixteenth century, at the same time as the spire was added to the tower.It was shortened again in 1828 when a gallery was installed. The gabled east-end has a pair of square-headed windows with clear glass.
The building is situated on Marketgate in the centre of Crail.
It is surrounded by an interesting graveyard and a coped wall.